Re: released packages state

"J.H.M. Dassen \(Ray\)" <jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 23:04:36 +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> > I would like to know if there is any difference between the debian
> > archive in the 'frozen' state and the 'stable', officially released
> > state.
>
> There is. 'frozen' is the time when thorough integration testing will be
> done, and additional fixes for release-critical bugs take place.
>
> > I won't bother if a few packages change over time during freeze, but I
> > definitely can't handle a large number of packages.
>
> It is difficult to say how many packages will change during the freeze; it
> depend on the number of problems remaining, the number of new problems
> identified and the duration of the freeze. The intent is however to have as
> few changes as possible.

Which means at least a few Gig of traffic until release.
Many packages will change during freeze and alone from the size of the
download needed to upgrade to potato I would suggest that you buy a CD
set from some redistributor when potato is released.

You should be able to get one for around 40 Gulden that includes
binary and source and thats probably far less than you pay for a 500
MB download.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin