Re: Info files not being recognized

On Sun, Oct 10, 1999 at 09:56:01PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> I just install gcc-doc and couldn't find a way to get the documentation
> short of C-u C-h i and manually entering /usr/share/info/gcc-1.info.gz in
> Emacs.
>
> The problem turns out to be the /usr/info -> /usr/share/info move, which
> people just started doing without fixing info and install-info and
> whatever else.
>
> To fix the situation I had to upgrade info and dpkg (not sure which
> mattered) and look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-doc.postinst and manually run
> the install-info line again.
>
> No dependencies anywhere on either the updated install-info in dpkg, a
> recent version of info, nor any conflicts with gcc-docs to avoid having a
> gcc.info in /usr/info as well as /usr/share/info.
>
> I'm not sure which package to report this as a bug against.

The "info" package doesn't contain install-info program, the "dpkg" package
does[1]. Still, I don't think even install-info could have done anything
wrong - it is probably your Emacs that is incapable of viewing documents in
/usr/share/info directory.

[1] and the /usr/info/dir file move hasn't even been done yet.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name