Re: dpkg --build and empty directories

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Bart Schuller wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 08:28:10PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I use mc to look inside .deb files. (just hit enter with the highlight bar
> > over the filename, and ... grind, grind, and you see the inside of the
> > package file like it were another file system)
>
> That's it!
>
> gmc doesn't even show the var directory, but does show usr because deep
> in there is at least the copyright file.
>
> You might want to check for/file an mc bug.
>
> In the mean time, verify with dpkg --contents mypackage.deb

Yep, that works for me too.

That means it doesn't have anything to do with tar, but with the way mc is
calling tar? (I am assuming that dpkg --contents uses tar at some point,
or does it have its own tar...) Just checked, and tar works fine, so its
most certainly an mc problem. Although, given that it is probably down in
the virtual file system code somewhere, I don't expect it to be fixed. It
may even be considered a feature...no reason to display empty directories
that you couldn't write into anyway.

At least I know "who to trust" for this information ;-)

Thanks,

Dwarf