Re: Shortening release cycles

I believe that this is the reason Joey Hess suggested that we start adding new
and tested packages as an addition to our last stable release.  Many package
maintainers release new versions of their packages for both the stable, as well
as the unstable release.  XFree is a perfect example of this, and there is no
reason why we can't add these updated packages designed for stable once testing
has been done on the updated package.  This idea was debated on -devel for a few
weeks before disappearing.  I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I suspect
that, with a few exceptions, people WANT to see this.  It wouldn't add to the
load of the developers, since they are already doing the releases of new
packages, it wouldn't take away from the quality, since the packages would be
tested.  It would be some additional work for the debian-cd and possibly floppy
images, so those who work on these two would need to be involved, but even then,
it shouldn't be a major change from the previous "stable".  Does anyone see a
problem with this?  I sure don't.

							Dave Bristel