Re: Packages should not Conflict on the basis of duplicate funct

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> b) if you know what you are doing, compile the packages by hand, fix their
> install scripts, and remove the conflicts.  You are trying to circumvent the
> norm.

But I think, to be fair, that what he's proposing *isn't* necessarily
`not the norm' -- any decent-sized ISP could easily have cause to do
this, and it would seem better just to tweak the packages slightly
to let them both install than make a back-to-the-grindstone exercise.

> Debian is operating on making the easy case easy.  90+% of our users want to
> just install a package and go.

Oh jeezus.  This sounds like a Microsoft slogan.

I thought Debian was about handling every case -- for the novice, to
the guru -- flexibly, powerfully and elegantly.  I had no such idea
that was a lowest common denominator appeal element here.  It sounds
like a crude idea/slogan to try and reverse ratings like PCPlus hands
out: "Debian -- for pros, don't touch it" (which I agree is a problem).

--
Chris <chris@fluff.org>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )