Re: Hysterical Onanistic ITP's (was: ITP: Country Codes)

On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 02:21:52PM +0900, Keita Maehara wrote:
> Country Codes is not a program developed by a Japanese programmer.  I
> used "jp" just as an example.  I hope someone won't call you "some
> kind of cultural chauvinist" :).

Okay, then feel free to heap all my scorn and derision on whoever deserves
it.  I'm an equal-opportunity jerk, and I pay no heed to anyone's
nationality, race, creed, color or religion.  :)

In my own defense, I do remember some package straight from the Debian-JP
project with a textual output format that made me recoil in horror.  I
didn't speak up about it at the time and of course I can't remember what it
was now.

> > I really wish we could get this psychotic ITP obsessiveness under control.
>
> Perhaps it should be under some kind of control, but I don't know
> that's a good idea or not.  Currently we have only a rough, or natural
> consensus.

Well, we do see lots of ITP's with only a day or two's notice before upload
to the archives.  The Debian-JP team are hardly the only ones guilty of
that, though.  (On the other end of the spectrum are the people who post
ITP's before they've even *started* work on a package, and it is literally
months before it ever shows up.)

Perhaps we should start an informal mechanism of "seconding" ITP's?

Give a package a week or so to garner three "seconds".  A heck of a lot of
people read -devel and it shouldn't be hard for truly useful packages to
muster that relatively small amount of support.

> There might be a strong objection from others too, so I'll withdraw
> this ITP for now, not because it's useless but I have much more work
> (not so much as you though) to do for Debian other than flamewar.
>
> Finally, from upstream README:
>
> |   I am lazy to hold all the ISO 3166 in my mind, or to grep it from a file,
> |   it's too much work :)

It is so darn easy to grep /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab that I must take
exception to that reasoning.

I can understand someone not wanting to type all that, but it would really
be cake to write a shell alias or function that can accomplish the same
thing.

iso3166 () {
  grep -i ^$1 /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab;
}

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   "Why do we have to hide from the police,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Daddy?"