Re: Hysterical Onanistic ITP's (was: ITP: Country Codes)

From: Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Hysterical Onanistic ITP's (was: ITP: Country Codes)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:14:02 -0400

> At the risk of starting another flamewar or being called some kind of
> cultural chauvinist, this isn't the first program I've seen from .jp that
> has big flaws like this.  Many Japanese programmers seem to be utterly
> unaware of many of the Unix idioms, reinventing the wheel over and over
> again, and usually with ugly output formats (to spread blame a little more
> evenly, dpkg -l is just as awful in this regard and I really hope our
> Japanese brethren aren't using it as an example).

Country Codes is not a program developed by a Japanese programmer.  I
used "jp" just as an example.  I hope someone won't call you "some
kind of cultural chauvinist" :).

> I really wish we could get this psychotic ITP obsessiveness under control.

Perhaps it should be under some kind of control, but I don't know
that's a good idea or not.  Currently we have only a rough, or natural
consensus.

There might be a strong objection from others too, so I'll withdraw
this ITP for now, not because it's useless but I have much more work
(not so much as you though) to do for Debian other than flamewar.

Finally, from upstream README:

--
Keita Maehara <maehara@debian.org>