Re: sash

* Michael Neuffer said:
> * Raul Miller (moth@debian.org) [990923 16:15]:
> > On Thu, Sep 23, 1999 at 07:32:50AM -0500, Ashley Clark wrote:
> > > Couldn't sash include a PAM module that would change the password to
> > > match root's password whenever it was changed? Or am I oversimplifying
> > > things?
> >
> > I don't have enough confidence in Debian's pam, yet, to insist that
> > everyone that wants to use sash must implement pam support before
> > using sash.
>

> Depending on PAM  would be a fatal mistake.
> sash is for situations when your system is FUBARed,
> therefore you can not assume that you will still have
> a working PAM subsystem either.
sash won't ever be linked with dynamic PAM libs since it's static by
definition. The proposal, as I can see it, is to write a PAM module that
could be added to /etc/pam.d/passwd to ask whether the just-changed root
password should be cloned into the sashroot account. And that's a really
elegant and clean solution, IMHO.

marek