Re: A few changes

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Darren Benham wrote:

> Bugs are no longer deleted!!!  We don't have a way for you to access them
> directly but there's an "official" location in the database where they're
> being archived.  We're trying to decide how to serve them up... by
> requesting a bug number, obviously, but any other way?  Do we need them
> index by maintainer or package?  Remember, these are closed -- solved --
> bugs.

The "correct" and usual thing to do when finding a bug is to look into the
BTS to see if it has already been filed or even dealt with. Now remember a
lot of Debian users live off stable from CD. Considering the time between
to stable releases, chances are high someone "discovers" a bug long after
it has been closed (because he's installing a previously unused package).
The person will then be disappointed (because Debian doesnt't handle
rather obvious bugs) and/or file it again.

Conclusion: make closed bugs available by package. The original bug
report and the closing message should be sufficient.

Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>
Frankfurt am Main, Germany