Red Hat XFree86 security update

[Olaf, if you have any comments I'd like to hear them, otherwise please
feel free to disregard this mail.]

It was pointed out to me that this "error" might have been deliberate; Red
Hat might be able to choke down giving credit to Debian developers for
finding bugs, but not fixing them.

Hopefully this was just some momentary confusion on Red Hat's part and not
a deliberate effort to conceal the authorship of security fixes.

Red Hat could, of course, have written their own fix for the problem (it
wasn't complicated), but I do know that Preston Brown (who maintains
XFree86 for Red Hat) wrote me and asked for a copy of my patch, which I
also submitted to XFree86 and which was incorporated into their source tree
for inclusion in 3.3.6 (and 3.9.whatever-is-next, I presume).

BTW, have no fear, Debian folks, our fix for this problem went into
xbase-clients 3.3.4-2, which was installed on master on 4 September.  A
version of XFree86 3.3.4 for Debian 2.1 ("slink") is available from
<http://www.debian.org/~branden/>.

Just a note to other developers; it's worth watching other distributions'
announcements to see whether or not they credit Debian work correctly.

It would be unfortunate if truth and acknowledgement of individuals' work
on free software were to become casualties of the raging distribution wars.