Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 02:11:20PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Have you looked at debconf at all? Because..
>
> Scott Barker wrote:
> > 1) Separate interactive and non-interactive installation scripts. I suggest
> >    that the current debian install scripts should contain *only*
> >    non-interative functionality, such as running ldconfig, update-rc.d, etc.
> >    *All* interactive functionality should be moved into a separate config
> >    script.
>
> This is what debconf does.

My reading of it was that you use the debconf functions from within the
post-install script. I'm talking about a completely new functionality for the
packaging system, where a config script is defined, and is not the
post-install script. I will check again, in case I missed something.

--
Scott Barker       scott@mostlylinux.ab.ca
Linux Consultant   http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott

Looking for a husband? Know anyone looking for a husband? Well, I'm looking
for a wife. See http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/wife.shtml

Want a good deal on a personal computer in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?
Visit http://www.mostlylinux.ab.ca/scott/computers.shtml

[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to
   experience it."
   - Max Frisch