Re: Debian's problems

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, David Starner wrote:

> > In fact, would it be good to require a specific request to include
> > packages in the newly-created frozen at freeze-time?  So that a
>
> I see two problems with that. Would you like to be the ftp maintainers
> that have to sort through messages from all active maintainers, and
> find which packages to go into frozen? Also, there are several 'inactive'
> packages that are used, and don't need much updating. Leaving them out
> because the maintainer is temporarily unavailable does not do a service
> to the users.

Yeah, it's an interesting one.  If it were not done automagically,
then I think the issue of checking maintainer submissions for
`frozen' would require a team of people -- perhaps the QA team?

However, what I really was thinking was that packages would get
OKed for `frozen' automagically, just based on the maintainer
sending an email.  Possibly, the system could be configured so
that the package won't be accepted into `frozen' if any `important'
bugs are open against it (at least, not automatically) -- this
might be a good way of gently prodding maintainers into closing
bugs, so their packages get accepted.

There could be a public list of what packages had been submitted,
and which hadn't (so far), that everyone could view.  Perhaps
there could be a nice list sorted by number of bugs?  Anyway, the
higher powers in Debian could view the progress of the package
submissions, and if two weeks (say) went by without maintainers
bothering to submit an application, the QA team could be prodded
into dealing with it.

Any important packages in this list that were in fact okay for
release could then be submitted by Debian QA.

--
Chris <chris@fluff.org>                         ( http://www.fluff.org/chris )