Re: Debian's problems

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 04:17:08PM +0100, Chris Rutter wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>
> > And don't forget:
> >
> > ``Hi. We're about to freeze, and your package DEPENDS ON ANOTHER
> > THAT still has release critical bugs, and as such, it's been
> > moved to the newly created unstable.''
>
> In fact, would it be good to require a specific request to include
> packages in the newly-created frozen at freeze-time?  So that a
> lazy or unavailable maintainer (and thus one unlikely to fix RCBs)
> won't get their packages moved into frozen, and they'll have to
> specifically wake up, think about it, send a request to include the
> package, hopefully prompting them into thinking about it?

I see two problems with that. Would you like to be the ftp maintainers
that have to sort through messages from all active maintainers, and
find which packages to go into frozen? Also, there are several 'inactive'
packages that are used, and don't need much updating. Leaving them out
because the maintainer is temporarily unavailable does not do a service
to the users.

David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org