Increasing regularity of build systems

Hi, while working on the ARM port, I've begun to become frustrated
with the IMO, not entirely necessary diversity in our "rules" files.

It would be nice if more packages built as if you were running a
regular make, instead of restarting from the beginning (running
./configure again), and in a more consistent manner.

It would also be nice to try and keep these files a bit more
'standard', with as little obfuscated bourne shell scripting as
possible:-) Joey Hess' debhelper scripts are a good API, maybe it
would be good to standardize on them to some degree.

I'm not talking about rigid policies here, more a "let's try and do
this".

Thanks,
--
David N. Welton, Developer, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 x241 tel, 415.701.7457 fax