Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:43:02AM -0700, Daryl Williams wrote:

> >What advantages would those be?  I am curious.

>  i believe the major advantage in making a distinction between a
> base operating system and the applications it supports lies mostly
> in the modular design of such a system. much has been written about
> modular design, but essentially it allows for parts of a system to
> be easily added, deleted, or moved with minimum impact or
> dependencies, allowing for the greatest flexibility.

Debian currently does this better than anyone else, IMO.  Better than
Redhat, better than FreeBSD.  Not to say there isn't room for
improvement, but I don't see how seperating things out is going to
help much.

Personally, what I like about FreeBSD is the 3 fork release structure,
with 'stable' being ultra-stable, a bit out of date, and only updated
for security reasons, '????' being sort of the middle ground -
relatively up to date, but not bleeding edge, and 'current', where all
development happens - both user space and kernel.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria