Re: FreeBSD-like approach for Debian? [was: Re: Deficiencies in Debian]

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 05:49:35AM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >     If I wanted FreeBSD, I'd use FreeBSD.  I have a friend who uses it and his
> > argument against Linux, in general, is that "they don't ship a system" and
> > that he prefers things installed into /usr/local instead of /usr.  To me that
> > seems foolish.  /usr/local is for stuff I compile locally.  What we have now
> > may not be the best, but it is a far cry better than what FreeBSD does.
>
> Not really.  /usr/local is a handy way to distinguish between the *base*
> system, and the addon packages, which, guess what, are all compiled locally
> under FreeBSD

Not necessarily -- if you install from a port they're compiled locally,
but precompiled binaries of some ports are available (called packages)
and these also install in /usr/local.

Everything except the base is installed in /usr/local. I don't like it,
but it's hardly relevant to Debian's problems.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).