Re: voicerecog in Debian

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 01:24:54AM -0700, Rob Bos wrote:
> I'm not subscribed to this mailing list (and have no intention of doing so
> at this time) but I figured you guys could make teh best use of this:
>
> I was poking around freshmeat and found a very nifty little piece of
> software based on ViaVoice SDK, and think that it could really be a
> "killer" for the distribution that implements it first:
>
> http://www.zachary.com/creemer/xvoice.html

The problem is, IBM's ViaVoice SDK license is far from DFSG free. We can't
really use something like this unless it's freely redistributable.

Additionally, this kind of solution is nothing more than what you call it --
a hack. It's actually a quite gruesome hack.

I've been known for being a Berlin zealot, but Berlin will hopefully provide
a much better framework for features such as these.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.