Re: New QMail discussion list.

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 04:02:31PM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
> Jon Marler <jmarler@planetsites.com> writes:
> > I have started a new qmail discussion list.  The purpose of the list
> > is to discuss using QMail as the primary MTA with Debian.
>
> If I read you correctly---if, in other words, you mean to discuss
> distributing qmail as the recommended, default (which is what I think
> of when I read "primary") MTA for debian---give up now.

No ... I mean Debian systems with QMail installed as the Primary MTA.  I
don't want a big flame war, so put the torches down.

> The distribution conditions djb imposes on the software consign it to
> non-free, and the distribution will never depend on non-free software
> as a primary component.  Ever.

I'm just as frustrated as everyone else at the poor/non-existent licensing
with QMail.

> If you mean something else you might want to clarify, because I
> suspect a lot of people who might be interested in whatever you're
> really talking about might dismiss your prior statement out of hand,
> since it's obviously impossible.

This list will discuss USING QMail with Debian.  I am NOT trying to
convince the world that QMail is the end all to MTA's, and should be
installed as default on ALL systems, or even Debian systems.  I am just
trying to create a forum where people can share ideas so that Debian can
have the BEST QMail integration possible with the limited licensing
available.

'Nuff said.

Jon
jmarler@debian.org