Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Hi,

31 Aug 1999 08:38:47 +0200, Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote about Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja) (<[🔎] xnok8qcqwso.fsf@vile.diku.dk>):
peter> Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> writes:
peter> > joey> Package: mh-ja
peter> >
peter> > mh-ja will not cause any problem on English environment.I think
peter> > original mh maintainer can adopt ja patched version.
peter>
peter> But not even af wishlist bug in the BTS.

Hmm.

peter> > joey> Package: a2ps-perl-ja
peter> >
peter> > There isn't a2ps or a2ps-perl on Debian.
peter> > So it can rename a2ps-perl.
peter> > a2ps-perl-ja will not cause any problem on English environment.
peter>
peter> A forwarded normal bug against a2ps. It's not even a month old.

Sorry, I see.

peter> > joey> Package: locale-ja
peter> > Yes, We want glibc contains locale-ja.
peter> > But, it is not yet.
peter>
peter> File a bug, let it flow upwards. We can have a temporary solution but
peter> the above, without a bug, doesn't seem to be an atempt for a permanent
peter> solution.

Yes, I agree.

peter> > joey> Package: tcl8.0-ja
peter> > joey> Package: tk8.0-ja
peter> >
peter> > Hmm, Tcl and Tk ja patch will not cause any problem on English
peter> > environment. I think original Tcl/Tk maintainer can adopt ja patched
peter> > version.
peter>
peter> Then file bugs. I don't se any related bugs against tcl8.0 and tk8.0.

peter> You know the theme....
peter>
peter> Internationalization (not japanizing) is a good thing. And all my
peter> respect for those who works on it. But without bug reports don't
peter> expect that anyone not needing the patches will be aware of them.

OK.
We'll report BTS whenever we want merge.

peter> Im looking forward to the day somebody ITPs nethack-ja. That would be
peter> a fun package.

jnethack exists in Debian JP
(ftp://ftp.jp.debian.org/pub/debian-jp/dists/unstable-jp/main/binary-i386/games/jnethack_1.0.5.4.1-19.deb).

But this package is too specific for Japanese environment, so I
hesitating ITP it.

Maybe you say 'Why don't you merge?' X-(
You understand I18N support is difficult but you don't know how
difficult Japanese support is (Of course,peter knows).

Sometimes it looks 'ad hoc' and 'dirty'.
Japanese native speakers(users) can understand the content of Japanese
support patch, but maybe non-Japanese can't.

It is too hard and patient to let them understanding what problem is.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org