Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org> writes:

> joey> Package: mh-ja
>
> mh-ja will not cause any problem on English environment.I think
> original mh maintainer can adopt ja patched version.

But not even af wishlist bug in the BTS.

> joey> Package: a2ps-perl-ja
>
> There isn't a2ps or a2ps-perl on Debian.
> So it can rename a2ps-perl.
> a2ps-perl-ja will not cause any problem on English environment.

A forwarded normal bug against a2ps. It's not even a month old.

> joey> Package: locale-ja
> Yes, We want glibc contains locale-ja.
> But, it is not yet.

File a bug, let it flow upwards. We can have a temporary solution but
the above, without a bug, doesn't seem to be an atempt for a permanent
solution.

> joey> Package: tcl8.0-ja
> joey> Package: tk8.0-ja
>
> Hmm, Tcl and Tk ja patch will not cause any problem on English
> environment. I think original Tcl/Tk maintainer can adopt ja patched
> version.

Then file bugs. I don't se any related bugs against tcl8.0 and tk8.0.

> joey> Package: slang1-ja
>
> Hmm, I heard this has some difference from original version.

You know the theme....

Internationalization (not japanizing) is a good thing. And all my
respect for those who works on it. But without bug reports don't
expect that anyone not needing the patches will be aware of them.

I not going to need japanized TeX for a while. All I needs i Latin,
Danish, Greek and a few hebrew letters. I have no chance knowing if
somebody have problems with japanese letters if they are not telling
me.

Im looking forward to the day somebody ITPs nethack-ja. That would be
a fun package.

--
I congratulate you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone,
and may each of you fry in hell forever.