Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja)

Hi,

Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:57:16 -0700, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote about Re: this all this xxx-jp nonsense (was: Re: ITP: grep-ja) (<[🔎] 19990830215716.H2276@kitenet.net>):
joey> joey@kite:~pub>grep Package: /var/lib/dpkg/available |grep -- -ja\$

Hmm. Of course, Joey knows...

The following packages are document package.
So it looks no problem on Debian.
I find many 'manpages-*' on Debian. They are separated document packages
and don't purpose to merge.

joey> Package: user-ja
joey> Package: xmanpages-ja
joey> Package: dpkg-doc-ja
joey> Package: emacs-lisp-intro-ja
joey> Package: elisp-manual-ja
joey> Package: doc-linux-ja
joey> Package: manpages-ja
joey> Package: emacs-manual-ja

Then, following packages have possible to merge.

joey> Package: mh-ja

mh-ja will not cause any problem on English environment.I think
original mh maintainer can adopt ja patched version.

joey> Package: a2ps-perl-ja

There isn't a2ps or a2ps-perl on Debian.
So it can rename a2ps-perl.
a2ps-perl-ja will not cause any problem on English environment.

joey> Package: locale-ja
Yes, We want glibc contains locale-ja.
But, it is not yet.

joey> Package: tcl8.0-ja
joey> Package: tk8.0-ja

Hmm, Tcl and Tk ja patch will not cause any problem on English
environment. I think original Tcl/Tk maintainer can adopt ja patched
version.

I heard new Tcl/Tk will implement Unicode support.
If so, we haven't to make ja patched version.

joey> Package: slang1-ja

Hmm, I heard this has some difference from original version.

joey> Package: xjed-ja
joey> Package: jed-sl-ja
joey> Package: jed-ja
joey> Package: jed-common-ja
joey> Package: slrn-ja
joey> Package: mutt-ja

These packages depends 'slang1-ja'...

I'm checking patches which remain on Debian-JP now.
I'll report "There is a Japanese support patch (or I18N patch), Please
merge it".
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org