Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 27, 1999

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 09:58:49PM +0200, Ruud de Rooij wrote:
> On 1999/08/30, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 09:27:40PM +0200, Ruud de Rooij wrote:
> > > So if there is no bug report against something, it works correct?
> >
> > If it does not, there should be a bug report.
>
> That is not the same thing.

Yes, I know that.  I'm a math student, I should know the difference
between the two directions of an implication.

> Of course there should be bug reports for
> incorrect packages, but that does not mean one can conclude a package is
> correct in the absence of bug reports.

My point is that if you consider the behaviour of dinstall erroneus,
you should file a bug.  Since nobody has not done so, I may conclude that
it has not itched anyone too much and hence is not a big deal.

> Of course it is your bug report.

Then tell me, what can I do to fix it.

> You've done your part to fix it, but you
> cannot deny that your package in the current stable version of debian has
> that bug.

No I can't, and I don't, but there's nothing I can do about such a bug.
So it's not my bug to fix.

> Therefore it should be in the bug tracking database listed under
> that package.

No.  There should be a list of bugs fixed in unstable but not in stable,
sorted by package, yes.  But I don't want n+1 bugs cluttering the list
of bugs I need to address.

> > "Severity: fixed" is for NMU's.
>
> Says who?

Says I. ;-)

I believe that it was the  original meaning, but I'm too lazy to look
it up now.  And *I* prefer not to use "severity: fixed" for bugs I as
the maintainer don't need to act upon; I want those bugs gone from my
todo list.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)