Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

> Why are we sticking calls to perl routines into a rules file in the first
> place?

debhelper goes a long way to making a rules file sane.  I make a few files in
the debian/ hierarchy and place appropriate calls to dh_foo.  Now, I personally
would love to see dpkg-buildpackage and friends do what debhelper does, but
currently it is a safe way to do it.

Note that MANY packages use debhelper.  It is a very simple way for my
package(s) to stay policy compliant -- joey hess does the work for everyone
else.

Why place code in the rules file that we must all maintain?  As programmers we
are all taught to write re-usable code.  Joey Hess has, it just happens to be
perl.  I would have used python.  shell code simply gets ugly for more than 50
lines of it.

P.S. you simply state "it wont build".  Have you filed a bug?  Mailed joeyh?