Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 27, 1999

On 1999/08/31, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> > Of course it is your bug report.
>
> Then tell me, what can I do to fix it.
>
> > You've done your part to fix it, but you
> > cannot deny that your package in the current stable version of debian has
> > that bug.
>
> No I can't, and I don't, but there's nothing I can do about such a bug.
> So it's not my bug to fix.
>
> > Therefore it should be in the bug tracking database listed under
> > that package.
>
> No.  There should be a list of bugs fixed in unstable but not in stable,
> sorted by package, yes.  But I don't want n+1 bugs cluttering the list
> of bugs I need to address.

First of all, my apologies for my harsh language last night.  I was in a bad
mood and let my frustrations get into the way.

I guess the main point on which we disagree is that you regard the bug
tracking system as a "to do list for each maintainer", and I see it as a
"list of known defects in each package."  Both views are equally valid I
suppose, so I will stop arguing this point.

I do seem to recall that (at least during the hamm freeze) maintainers were
encouraged not to close bugs reported against the stable version of their
package, until said packages were in the stable archive.  Maybe I am wrong
and there was no such rule.  Maybe the common opinion on this matter
changed.

Anyway.  Case closed.  Again, sorry for bothering you.

	- Ruud de Rooij.
--
ruud de rooij | ruud@ruud.org | http://ruud.org