Re: Feaping Creature-ism in core Debian Packages

Hi,

        I am confused about whether we are addressing package build,
 or package installation in this discussion. The discussion seems to
 jump back and forth suddenly -- possibly this means I am missing the
 point.

 Dale> On 30 Aug 1999, Stephen Zander wrote:

 >> Justify this in terms of the perl-base package please.  While I agree

 Dale> Why should I do that? Perlisms in installation scripts do not limit
 Dale> themselves to the base perl language, so saying that the base
 Dale> functionality of perl is stable isn't sufficient.

        If by installation scripts you mean {pre,post}{inst,rm}
 scripts, then that is a bug, since the packages must only rely on
 Base/essential packages in those scripts. If you mean intallation
 scripts as those run by ./debian/rules, never mind.

 Dale> It has been regularly possible to scrog the installation of
 Dale> non-perl packages that use perl scripts during installation, if
 Dale> the perl installation fails for any reason. This has happened
 Dale> on several of our past releases requiring severe work arounds
 Dale> in order to get the system back in shape. We already have the
 Dale> same possible failure point with bash, enough so that folks are
 Dale> constantly talking about replacing it.

        This again seems like you are talking about amintainer
 scripts. If that is the case, perl-base is essential; and yes,
 failure of essential packages can indeed scrog a system (what a
 lovely word).

 Dale> If we are going to use perl in install methods, then why not
 Dale> lex and yacc, python and tk/tcl?

        If you are talking about installing packages, one should
 either use a (pre-)[1]dependency, or only use essential packages
 (perl is provided by perl-base) Building make, for example, does
 require lex and yacc.

[1] I think if your pre-inst requires said package, it has to be a
    pre-dependency.

 Dale> The reason for not doing so is the same reason I would prefer
 Dale> to stick to shell scripts. It keeps the point of failure in one
 Dale> location where effort and care can be taken to keep things
 Dale> going smoothly.  Diversifying installation scripts simply
 Dale> creates more possibilities for failure.

        But we already have decided on a set of Essential packages
 that can be used. There are too many things that depend on the
 Essential packages being jsut that.

 Dale> Concrete example:

 Dale> I _do_ have perl, and perl-base, installed on the Ultra, yet
 Dale> debhelper, which is a perl based package building tool, will
 Dale> not build, although the pre-buildt binar-all package installs
 Dale> and works OK, as best I can tell.

        That seems like you are no longer talking about installation
 scripts. Well, until we have elaborated on source dependency issues,
 I am not convinced that this is a major deal.

        A number of my packages provide HTML format documentation (by
 running texi2html). In my opinion, the advantages of the general user
 having this documentation justifies the cost of people _building_ the
 package

 Dale> Why are we sticking calls to perl routines into a rules file in
 Dale> the first place?

        To make a better package? ;-)

        manoj
--
 After watching my newly-retired dad spend two weeks learning how to
 make a new folder, it became obvious that "intuitive" mostly means