Re: Compiling 2.2.12

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 01:01:48PM -0500, David Welton wrote:
> I noticed this on the release notes for 2.2.12:
>
>   Compilers: This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs
>   1.1.2. It is known that not all of it builds validly on the x86
>   CPU's with gcc 2.95. As far as we know these are Linux not gcc
>   issues. Fixes for gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.0 may go into Linux 2.2 in
>   time. You should therefore not use gcc 2.95 to build stable kernels
>   for the moment.
>
> So, it would be good to make a note of this for people compiling their
> own kernels, in our release notes, if these things haven't been
> cleared up by then, as our default gcc is 2.9.5.

I have 2.2.11 running here, compiled with gcc 2.95.
Only one problem occured during compilation in assembly code
in hfmodem.c. Disabling it in menuconfig solved it.

Don't have any fancy hardware here, but system has been up ever
since 2.2.11 came out.

> Ciao,
> --
> David N. Welton            <   Sors immanis - et inanis - rota tu volubilis,
> davidw@prosa.it            >  status malus - vana salus - semper dissolubilis,
> http://www.efn.org/~davidw <   obumbrata - et velata - michi quoque niteris;
> debian.org + prosa.it      > nunc per ludum - dorsum nudum - fero tui sceleris.

Joop
--

 Joop Stakenborg PA4TU, ex-PA3ABA
      <pa3aba@debian.org>