Compiling 2.2.12

I noticed this on the release notes for 2.2.12:

  Compilers: This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs
  1.1.2. It is known that not all of it builds validly on the x86
  CPU's with gcc 2.95. As far as we know these are Linux not gcc
  issues. Fixes for gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.0 may go into Linux 2.2 in
  time. You should therefore not use gcc 2.95 to build stable kernels
  for the moment.

So, it would be good to make a note of this for people compiling their
own kernels, in our release notes, if these things haven't been
cleared up by then, as our default gcc is 2.9.5.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            <   Sors immanis - et inanis - rota tu volubilis,
davidw@prosa.it            >  status malus - vana salus - semper dissolubilis,