Re: debugging threaded apps using gdb

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Raphael Bossek wrote:

> Hi Oleg,

Hi, Raphael

> > can you explain me something? if i try to debug threads in slink (which have gdb 4.17) it's working.
> > but like now i dont ahve a slink but a potato with a downgraded version of gdb (4.17)... but it's
> > not working. i guest there's something else to downgrade, but what?
> i've the same problem at the moment :-(
> Using gdb 4.17-4 and libc6 2.1.2-pre10 following message occures :
>
> Starting program: exampeles/test2
> Linux thread target has modified Unknown signal handling
> [New Thread 396]
> [New Thread 395]
>
> whole gdb hangs :-(
> I thing i will clear my '486 and install the stable Debian GNU/Linux 2.1
> distribution with glibc6 2.0.7 and
> test the stuff again so i can determine the location that cause this !

don't bother

slink gdb4.17+og patch knows about USR1 and USR2 signals in libpthread and
uses them for debugging. glibc2.1.x has pthread lib with some realtime
signals taking place instead of USR1&USR2, so slik gdb will not work.
That is why you see "unknown signal" message...

HJ gdb uses new glibc2.1 interface for debugging. Grab it and try it -
it is what will be incorporated in gdb 4.19.

> cu Raphael Bossek

OK