Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

Hi,

Despite your long answer to my last mail, this will be the last thing I say
in this thread about this matter. It really boils down to it.

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 10:22:55AM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> The clinching arugment, which you have still failed to address, despite
> my repeatedly begging for someone to address it, is why you would deny
> this critical redundancy when its cost is absolutely negligible.

I don't deny a critical redundancy when its cost is absolutely negligible.

I deny that the redundany of static libraries in the default Debian system
is "critical" for almost all users.
I deny that the cost is absolutely negligible for quite a lot of users.

Therefore I disagree with your assessment of the situation.

As you can't convince me otherwise with the arguments you start to repeat
over and over again (although in colourful variations), and because I can't
you convince otherwise as you are not concerned with the problems building a
general purpose distribution, there is really no point in further discussion.

Here is a last hint: Debians philosophy (and therefore the implementation
of Debian policy) is not to provide everything for all users in the default
system. The trick is to provide a default system you can easily build your
personalised unix system upon.

Marcus