Re: RSA key in GNUPG

In article <[🔎] 19990823231748.D30986@spinnaker.rhein.de> you write:
>On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>
>>  >gpg --no-options --load-extension rsa --load-extension idea --rfc1991 \
>>  >        --cipher-algo idea --digest-algo md5 \
>>  >        --keyring /home/roland/.pgp/pubring.pgp \
>>  >        --secret-keyring /home/roland/.pgp/secring.pgp --force-v3-sigs \
>>  >        --textmode --armor -r roland@spinnaker.de --encrypt testfile
>
>> AFAIK you should use --compress-algo 1 too.

It doesn't help.

I realized I made a mistake with what I said earlier. Encrypting works.
Signing works. Encrypting + Signing does not work!!!

Also note, the error is "Error: Decrypted plaintext is corrupted."
and not "Unsupported packet format" like others have suggested.

(For an example of signing, look at this message)

ENCRYPTING:
-----------
[519] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >gpg -r bam --encrypt README
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.7; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

File `README.gpg' exists. Overwrite (y/N)? y
gpg: RSA keys are deprecated; please consider creating a new key and use this key in the future
gpg: this cipher algorithm is depreciated; please use a more standard one!
[520] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >pgp README.gpg
Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.3ia - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-96 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1996-03-04
International version - not for use in the USA. Does not use RSAREF.
Current time: 1999/08/24 23:14 GMT

File is encrypted.  Secret key is required to read it.
Key for user ID: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
1024-bit key, key ID 59EF33BD, created 1999/06/01
Also known as: Brian May <bam@debian.org>

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good.  Just a moment.....
Plaintext filename: README.gpg
Output file 'README.gpg' already exists.  Overwrite (y/N)? n

Enter new file name: aaa
[521] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >diff README aaa
[522] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >

(thats bad - why is PGP trying to overwrite the encrypted file???)

SIGNING+ENCRYPTING:
--------------------
[524] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >gpg -r bam -se README
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.7; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Brian May <bam@debian.org>"
1024-bit RSA key, ID 59EF33BD, created 1999-06-01

File `README.gpg' exists. Overwrite (y/N)? y
gpg: RSA keys are deprecated; please consider creating a new key and use this key in the future
gpg: this cipher algorithm is depreciated; please use a more standard one!
[525] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >pgp README.gpg
Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.3ia - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-96 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1996-03-04
International version - not for use in the USA. Does not use RSAREF.
Current time: 1999/08/24 23:16 GMT

File is encrypted.  Secret key is required to read it.
Key for user ID: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
1024-bit key, key ID 59EF33BD, created 1999/06/01
Also known as: Brian May <bam@debian.org>

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good.  Just a moment....
Error: Decrypted plaintext is corrupted.
.
For a usage summary, type:  pgp -h
For more detailed help, consult the PGP User's Guide.

USE OF --compress-algo 1
------------------------
[526] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >gpg --compress-algo 1 -r bam -se README
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.7; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Brian May <bam@debian.org>"
1024-bit RSA key, ID 59EF33BD, created 1999-06-01

File `README.gpg' exists. Overwrite (y/N)? y
gpg: RSA keys are deprecated; please consider creating a new key and use this key in the future
gpg: this cipher algorithm is depreciated; please use a more standard one!
[527] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >pgp README.gpg
Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.3ia - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-96 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1996-03-04
International version - not for use in the USA. Does not use RSAREF.
Current time: 1999/08/24 23:17 GMT

File is encrypted.  Secret key is required to read it.
Key for user ID: Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>
1024-bit key, key ID 59EF33BD, created 1999/06/01
Also known as: Brian May <bam@debian.org>

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good.  Just a moment....
Error: Decrypted plaintext is corrupted.
.
For a usage summary, type:  pgp -h
For more detailed help, consult the PGP User's Guide.

DECRYPTING FILE WITH GPG:
-------------------------
(with and with extra --compress-algo 1 when encrypting and
decrypting --- as the output looks the same to me)

[530] [snoopy:bam] ~/examples >gpg README.gpg
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.7; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>"
1024-bit RSA key, ID 59EF33BD, created 1999-06-01

gpg: NOTE: cipher algorithm 1 not found in preferences
File `README' exists. Overwrite (y/N)? n
gpg: old style (PGP 2.x) signature
gpg: Signature made Wed Aug 25 09:21:16 1999 EST using RSA key ID 59EF33BD
gpg: Good signature from "Brian May <bam@debian.org>"
gpg:                 aka "Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>"

I am very suspicious of the "cipher algorithm 1 " message, and suspect
that it is the key to the problem. If cipher 1 was not in the
preference, then why was it used to encypt the message??? What is
cipher-algo 1??????? Perhaps gpg ignored my configuration for encryption?

OPTIONS FILE IN USE:
---------------------
# Options for GnuPG
#
# Unless you you specify which option file to use (with the
# commandline option "--options filename"), GnuPG uses the
# file ~/.gnupg/options by default.
#
# An option file can contain all long options which are
# available in GnuPG. If the first non white space character of
# a line is a '#', this line is ignored.  Empty lines are also
# ignored.
#
# See the man page for a list of options.

load-extension rsa
load-extension idea
rfc1991
cipher-algo idea
digest-algo md5

# Add the PGP keyrings
keyring ~/.pgp/pubring.pgp
secret-keyring ~/.pgp/secring.pgp

keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.pgp
keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg

# Uncomment the next line to get rid of the copyright notice
#no-greeting

# If you have more than 1 secret key in your keyring, you may want
# to uncomment the following option and set your preffered keyid

# default-key 621CC013

# The next option is enabled because this one is needed for interoperation
# with PGP 5 users.  To enable full OpenPGP compliance you have to remove
# this option.

force-v3-sigs

# Because some mailers change lines starting with "From " to ">From "
# it is good to handle such lines in a special way when creating
# cleartext signatures; all other PGP versions it this way too.
# To enable full OpenPGP compliance you have to remove this option.

escape-from-lines

# If you do not use the Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) charset, you should
# tell GnuPG which is the native character set.  Please check
# the man page for supported character sets.
#charset koi8-r

# You may define aliases like this:
#   alias mynames  -u 0x12345678 -u 0x456789ab -z 9
# everytime you use --mynames, it will be expanded to the options
# in the above defintion.  The name of the alias may not be abbreviated.
# NOTE: This is not yet implemented

# lock the file only once for the lifetime of a process.
# if you do not define this, the lock will be obtained and released
# every time it is needed - normally this is not needed.
lock-once

# If you have configured GnuPG without a random gatherer,
# you have to uncomment one of the following lines.
#load-extension rndlinux
#load-extension rndunix
#load-extension rndegd

# GnuPG can import a key from a HKP keyerver if one is missing
# for sercain operations. Is you set this option to a keyserver
# you will be asked in such a case whether GnuPG should try to
# import the key from that server (server do syncronize with each
# others and DNS Round-Robin may give you a random server each time).
# Use "host -l pgp.net | grep www" to figure out a keyserver.
#keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net

VERSIONS
---------
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
ii  gnupg           0.9.7-1        GNU privacy guard - a free PGP replacement.
ii  gpg-rsa         2              RSA (PGP 2.x-compatible) module for GNU Priv
ii  gpg-idea        2              IDEA (PGP 2.x-compatible) module for GNU Pri
ii  pgp-i           2.6.3a-4       Public key encryption system (International
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>