Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

* Michael Stone said:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 01:13:52AM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> > At any rate--your suggestion got me thinking, and there MAY be other
> > possibilities here. All of them involve trade-offs:
> >
> >   #1-- sash could try harder to ensure that an "exec" succeeds before
> >        it allows itself to exit. for example, instead of exec, it could
> >        fork and exec, and then look for signs the new process was
> >        healthy before quitting.
>
> Signs such as...? You'd basically need to turn sash into a debugger so
Either checking the /proc/childpid/ for existence or using one of the
wait*() family of functions as Nathaniel did in his patch.

> that it could trap signals generated in a child process. I maintain that
> doing so adds too much complexity to what is supposed to be an
> _emergency shell_.
Noo... it's not complex at all. See the Nathaniel's patch.

> >        with an error for some reason. this could have subtle implications
> >        which haven't occurred to me
>
> The bourne shell's return code is based on the return code of the last
> process run. Not a really reliable indicator...
And dynamic loader returns 127 in case dynamic bindings fail. That can be
used with much reliability for the test. Bash doesn't have such exit code.

marek