Re: Running gnome

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 01:24:20PM +0100, Dave Swegen wrote:
> All that happens is that X starts up really slowly, popping up the xterm
> after about 30 seconds, with the wm following a further 20-30 seconds
> later. I tried putting gnome-name-service in .xsession, but no difference.

Gnome uses a lot of function which can slow down your system, yes.

> The weird thing is that ps tells me that everything that I'm running from
> .xsession apart from the xterm and the gnome-stuff become zombie processes,
> only killed off when I exit X.

This is due to the exec of gnome session. You should not strat anything from
the .xsession. gnome-session can be used to start the window-manager, too. I
stoped using the session support in gnome since every now and then i loses
all session cvonfiguration (including panel and background) and i was too
anyed that i am not able to make a backup of the session. So my file looks
like this:

background-properties-capplet --init-session-settings &
gmc --nowindows --disable-sound &
/usr/bin/X11/icewm-gnome &
panel --disable-sound --sm-disable

Greetings