Re: itp: static bins / resolving static debian issues

Hamish, don't worry about it. Craig is being paranoid, which is usually
a very good attitude for a Unix admin, but in this case it's not
necessary paranoia. Cron ignores the shell you declare in /etc/passwd
and always uses /bin/sh, unless you tell it to use something else.

Very, very little depends on roots shell.

If /bin/sh were switched to something other than bash, then bash-isms
need to be eliminated from all /bin/sh scripts. This will take a long
while to happen, since the problem is pervasive. Probably Debian should
"deprecate" the use of bash-isms for /bin/sh, but take several years
to get around to making the switch.

Justin