Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

* Daniel Burrows said:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 04:54:50PM -0400, Steve Willer was heard to say:
> > >     No memory cost?  Care to rethink that again?
> >
> > I have been rethinking it, but as far as I can tell from reading the ldso
> > source and from knowing a little bit about how linkers work, there is no
> > RAM benefit from using shared libraries. The benefit is on the maintenance
> > side, having shared code sitting in a single file. If you can point me to
> > a page that explains where I'm wrong (if I am), then please do.
>
>   *blink*
>
>   Now _I'm_ confused.  My understanding was that the library is loaded into
> memory only once and shared between different processes (possibly with
> copy-on-write set for the relevant pages), the same way that (eg)
> one copy of bash is shared between every running bash process.  Thus the term
> 'shared library'.
Yes, but think of it as a tree structure - everything below the current node
inherits what's loaded on the parent node. Thus, everything loaded by init
is shared by all the processes - namely the libc6 code and the roundabouts.
If you need anything more to be shared in that way, use the pre-loading
feature.

marek