Re: how to make Debian less fragile (long and philosophical)

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 11:57:48AM +0200, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> The chance that you destroy your base system during an upgrade of
> stable is so low, that a rescuedisk is good enough, no need to waste
> the space on disk and memory and to slow down the system by having
> only static bins on /. Also whats the point of it? As soon as a broken
> libc is released, all bins would be statically linked against that.
> If the lib is broken, all the bins will be broken as well. And fixing
> that would be much more work than just copying the libc from the
> rescuedisk.

No.

As has been said in several other messages (and not just by me), rescue
disk doesn't work where high uptime is a requirement.  [I've decided that
remote administration is just one example of this kind of requirement.]

Linux has the capability of supporting upgrade without reboot.  Why require
reboot for all rescue operations?  [I grant that there are cases where the
system must be rebooted, but most cases don't require this.]

> 30 years of hard won knowledge state "Never change a runing system"
> and "Allways make backups". People allways do the same errors
> again. :)

And, "Never put yourself in a situation where you must rely on backups,"
and "never design a system so that you must reboot it".

It's a perfectly valid sysadmin decision to reboot a system -- perhaps
every week or month.  But you shouldn't design a system so that it has
to be rebooted as an optimization tactic.  [Which is what every argument
against statically linked system binaries comes down to.]

However, it's probably true that most people don't have a need for
system routines to be statically linked -- so such packages should
be optional in some sense of the word.

> As I said above, one fsck is enough to waste 128 MB ram.

This makes the memory footprint of static linking rather trivial,
wouldn't you say?

> Installing something on a production system without a on the fly
> backup/restore is stupidity. If you don't have the five minutes time
> to restore a libc from the rescue disks, use a second system or a
> chroot system to check if the update works first.

Yes.

But that's not a guarantee that mistakes will never be made.

> > The system should strive to guarantee the availablity of anything
> > that you might need in single user mode, and you are much more able
> > to guarantee that when it's statically linked.
>
> Thats not true. If something like the libc is broken, all statically
> linked bins will also be broken and then its much more work.

Only if new statically linked bins which were compiled against the broken
libc get installed.

> If something gets deinstalled by mistake, its gone, no matter if its
> dynamic or static.

True.

Then again, would you argue that it's not worth wearing a seatbelt in
a car because you'd still be dead if someone chops your head off?

--
Raul