Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 09:43:59AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
>  Joey> The idea is to update more than just the usual security
>  Joey> updates, but avoid any new code that hasn't been tested for 2
>  Joey> to 4 months already. So this release would include X 3.3.3,
>  Joey> kernel 2.2.x (where x is probably 7 with security patches),
>  Joey> security updates, possibly updated pcmcia drivers, and possibly
>  Joey> more (the idea of an updated apt has been bandied about).
>         Whatever happened to the idea of having pools of package
>  (presented by aj)? [...]
>         It was a nice proposal, andI probably have it archived
>  somewhere.

http://www.debian.org/~ajt/ and grep for "Reorganisation".

Actually, speaking of which, is anyone interested in a reproposal of
the "extra files" issue? That is, giving dpkg some way of knowing what
package "owns" things like /etc/passwd, or /usr/lib/python1.5/uu.pyc,
that aren't included in the .deb, but are actually created and managed
by some particular .deb or other? The original proposal is on the above
page.

>         Seems liek a better thing to discuss and implement than ad hoc
>  re-releases of stable. (;-)

Slightly harder though...

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds