Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 01:39:11PM -0400, Nick Cabatoff wrote:
> On Aug 16, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > No, it isn't. There isn't a single good reason to partition a disk into
> > little chunks on a end-user workstation - and these days there are some
> > valid but generally not very important reasons to do it on a server.
>
> Here's a few:
>
> * Even if it's a workstation, it may not be maintained by the person who
> sits at it, and it may have more than one account on it.  A user
> shouldn't be able to incapacitate it, which may well occur when /tmp or
> /var gets filled.

How does putting /tmp on its own partition keep it from getting filled
up? If anything, it will fill up faster if it has less than 100% of the
available drive space assigned to it. This argument is a non-starter for
the single-user desktop.

> * If you have a workstation farm (as we do), it's nice to have a uniform
> size /usr, or at least a known minimum size; that way we can ensure that
[snip]
> * If you can make /usr readonly (even if only effectively), then backups
> are much faster and simpler.  We backup /var and sometimes / on many of
> our workstations, and wouldn't want to include /usr and /tmp... if
> you're using dump, you have to take the whole filesystem.
[snip]
> We actually create 5 partitions (+swap): /, /tmp, /var, /usr, and
> /usr/cnoc (in addition to any local partitions used as home or local

The rest of these are site policies and have no bearing on what debian
should use as a default partitioning scheme.

Mike Stone