Re: history (Was Re: Corel/Debian Linux Installer)

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 02:38:11PM -0700, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Its important to teach people good habits right from the beginning.  The
> huge monstrous / partition is a Linuxism that sets users of other unixen
> sniggering at our naivete.

Good habits my a$$. We're talking about the default install for people
who are moving from win95. Windows doesn't require them to pull out a
calculator and carve up their disks, and neither should linux. An
experienced user is going to partition in whatever manner they want to,
and any attempt to come up with a perfect default is wasted effort.
(I've seen several One True Partition Schemes in this thread, and none
matches the configuration on my production servers.) My Aunt Fanny
doesn't need that kind of headache. What, aside from the fear that a
juvenile unix user with too much time on his hands may snigger, is the
drawback of one big partition for a windows-using-one-toe-in-the-water
linux newby? (An important question, since that's the only person who's
going to take the default.) For that matter, should I toss out my
carefully considered one-primary-partition home system to prevent
hostile sniggering?

Mike Stone