Re: group video?

On Sun, Aug 15, 1999 at 01:55:12PM -0600, Bdale Garbee wrote:
> Do we want/need a group 'video' to hold all the video4linux devices?  In the
> same way that groups like audio, cdrom, dialout, etc are used to control
> permissions to a specific group of users, I'm thinking that making the video
> devices root/video/0660 would make things like xawtv easier to run.
>
> As the makedev maintainer, I'll be happy to update makedev if there is
> agreement.
>
> Bdale

Your posting made me wonder about the proper setup for the scsi generic
devices.

I have /dev/scd0 as a read-only CDROM, and /dev/scd1 as a cd writer.

  freefall /dev $ ll scd{0,1}
  brw-rw----   1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar 22 20:51 scd0
  brw-rw----   1 root     cdrom     11,   1 Mar 22 20:51 scd1

To rip CD's, cdparanoia needs access to the scsi generic devices. I
tried permissions of:

  freefall /dev $ ll sg*
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   0 Mar 22 20:51 sg0
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   1 Mar 22 20:51 sg1
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  10 Mar 22 20:51 sg10
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  11 Mar 22 20:51 sg11
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  12 Mar 22 20:51 sg12
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  13 Mar 22 20:51 sg13
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  14 Mar 22 20:51 sg14
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  15 Mar 22 20:51 sg15
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,  16 Mar 22 20:51 sg16
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   2 Mar 22 20:51 sg2
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   3 Mar 22 20:51 sg3
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   4 Mar 22 20:51 sg4
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   5 Mar 22 20:51 sg5
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   6 Mar 22 20:51 sg6
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   7 Mar 22 20:51 sg7
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   8 Mar 22 20:51 sg8
  crw-r-----   1 root     cdrom     21,   9 Mar 22 20:51 sg9

But cdparanoia won't run as a normal user in group cdrom (it will run as
root):

  /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
  cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
  Consider using -s to force a more complete autosense
  of the machine.

  More information about /dev/cdrom:
  Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

If I change the permissions on all the sg devices to group rw, I can
run cdparanoia as a normal user in group cdrom. But I don't want to
have all the scsi generic devices writeable by everyone in group cdrom.
And setting just the correct scsi devices to be writeable is dangerous,
because modifying the devices on the scsi bus may cause the generic
devices to point to different physical devices. That is, if I make the
scsi generic device for the cdrom writeable, it may be the scsi generic
device for a hard drive after some hardware modifications.

Does anyone see a problem with my /dev setup? Does cdparanoia really
need write permission to a cdrom drive in order to find it?

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com