Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

* "Russell" == Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:

>> I do too and I would love to see a stable-current dist alongside
>> stable and unstable in the future. So far the only problem
>> mentioned was that developers don't always have a slink machine
>> handy to compile the packages. So how about a machine on the net,
>> like master.debian.org ?

Russell> It's really not that difficult to get a chroot() environment
Russell> going if you have the hard drive space.  Perhaps they should
Russell> put a 100Meg Bzip2 archive of a Slink development setup
Russell> online for interested people to download...

This is not enough in some cases. To compile GNOME for slink, I had to
wade deeply into the unstable developement environment (autoconf,
automake, docbook, cygnus-styleshhets et al.). Also, sometimes it is
not easy and time consuming to find out which -dev packages are
needed.

BTW: A completely new thought: How about source dependancies? ;-)

Ciao,
	Martin