Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

>> >I do too and I would love to see a stable-current dist alongside stable and
>> >unstable in the future. So far the only problem mentioned was that developers
>> >don't always have a slink machine handy to compile the packages. So how about
>> >a machine on the net, like master.debian.org ?
>>
>> It's really not that difficult to get a chroot() environment going if you have
>> the hard drive space.  Perhaps they should put a 100Meg Bzip2 archive of a
>> Slink development setup online for interested people to download...
>That would be the best solution. I am running a separate Slink system
>only for packaging and I would be very happy to use chroot instead of
>that waste of harddisk space. Has anybody the experience, time and
>enthusiasm of setting up such an archive for all interested developers ?

If the disk space and bandwidth are available it's not that difficult to
install.  Just extract the files from the base slink archive, run
"chroot bin/bash" when the root of the archive is the CWD, then use apt to
install the packages you want in the usual way.  Once that's finished just type
"exit" to get out of the chroot and archive it up for sending to other people.

I've CC'd this mail to debian-devel which I believe was your intention for the
message you sent to me.

--
This is the noise that keeps me awake