Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

>I do too and I would love to see a stable-current dist >alongside
stable
>and
>unstable in the future. So far the only problem >mentioned was that
>developers
>don't always have a slink machine handy to compile the >packages. So
how
>about
>a machine on the net, like master.debian.org ?

I am not yet a debian developer (I would like to apply one of these
days) but maybe one way I could help in this area is to offer to do
compiles on my slink machine.  Since I do not currently upgrade to
unstable (until it is released as stable), what I usually do is to
download the source to new packages from unstable and then build them
under the stable configuration.
Since I am tracking the development of several items (gEDA, wine, VDK
and VDK builder) I grab new sources for these from the upstream sites
(along with the needed libs such as gtk++, guile, etc) and build these
in the /usr/local tree.

I sometimes also grab the latest stable kernels from kernel.org or a
mirror and build them using the make-kpkg utility.  I havn't tried any
of the 2.2.x kernels, but I probably will when I upgrade my current
computer (from a k6-233 to a PIII-450 or 500, or maybe even a PAIR of
PIII-450's ... depends on how much Intel cuts prices in a 1.5 weeks!).
If I can get a usb kb and mouse working that would be interresting.

Also (can of worms) I noticed some talk a while back of someone
packaging bladeenc.  Seems that he now has source for a working version
(0.82-2) and beta's (0.83-0.85) on his web site now.  I know that there
are legal problems here, though maybe not in his country (could put it
in non-us maybe?).  BTW FWIW stampede has packaged this.
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....