Re: Debian Xconfigurator?

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

   On Fri, 06 Aug 1999, Ben Pfaff wrote:
   >I recommend a Matrox.  They've got superb framebuffer support since
   >Petr Vandrovec (one of the main kernel fb people) is the driver author
   >and maintainer.  They play nicely with the XF86_SVGA X server, so
   >you're not forced to use the slower XF86_FBDev X server.

   The XF86_FBDev server is only slower for co-processed tasks such as scrolling
   in an email reader.  For xmame it is just as fast as a regular X server.

Well, I don't play games, so I wouldn't know.

   It is really not recommended to mix FB and a regular X server.

The Matrox framebuffer driver is an exception.  Petr has gone to great
effort to ensure that it is fully compatible with XF86_SVGA and stable
when it is used.

   Also they are working on co-processed X servers using the FB device
   which should be just as fast as any other type of X server.