Re: Debian Xconfigurator?

On Fri, 06 Aug 1999, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>Tomasz Papszun <tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl> writes:
>
>   has anyone got any list of video cards that support FrameBuffer?
>
>I recommend a Matrox.  They've got superb framebuffer support since
>Petr Vandrovec (one of the main kernel fb people) is the driver author
>and maintainer.  They play nicely with the XF86_SVGA X server, so
>you're not forced to use the slower XF86_FBDev X server.

I've got FB working well on Matrox G200 and ATI Mach 64 cards with native frame
buffer drivers.  I've got it running on my laptop with NeoMagic chipset using
the VESA FB drivers.
The XF86_FBDev server is only slower for co-processed tasks such as scrolling
in an email reader.  For xmame it is just as fast as a regular X server.
It is really not recommended to mix FB and a regular X server.  Also they are
working on co-processed X servers using the FB device which should be just as
fast as any other type of X server.

--
This is the noise that keeps me awake