Re: ifup in netbase

Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 09:19:38AM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> > I had a chance to take a quick look at the new ifup and ifdown commands
> > in netbase, but I was unable to find documentation about the
> > /etc/interfaces grammar. How does this file have to look like and what
> > features and options are currently implemented ?
>
> The grammar's incredibly trivial. Each line is either:
>
>         # comment
>         scheme <SCHEMENAME>
>         iface <IFACE> <ADDRESS_FAMILY> <METHOD>
> or      <OPTION> <ARGUMENTS...>
>
> Options relate to the last iface that was declared, iface's are in the
> last scheme that was declared (the default is '*' which matches anything).
>
> It's nominally documented in the source and in the /etc/network/interfaces
> file in netbase. There ain't much real documentation yet.
New options/interfaces/address families can be added by writing a .defn
file, if I understood you correctly. I like this system very much.
However, do you have any objections against bringing a little bit more
structure into the grammer ? There can be any syntax, but I would like
to have it structured. Because then it would be easy to read the
configuration data from a XML file or from Wichert's configuration
management system. What do you think ?

> Where did "/etc/interfaces" come from btw? That's what it used to be
> called before Wichert convinced me to move it to /etc/network/interfaces.
> Have I been inconsistent somewhere?
No, I think it was my fault.

Rene