Re: ifup in netbase

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 09:19:38AM +0200, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> I had a chance to take a quick look at the new ifup and ifdown commands
> in netbase, but I was unable to find documentation about the
> /etc/interfaces grammar. How does this file have to look like and what
> features and options are currently implemented ?

The grammar's incredibly trivial. Each line is either:

	# comment
	scheme <SCHEMENAME>
	iface <IFACE> <ADDRESS_FAMILY> <METHOD>
or	<OPTION> <ARGUMENTS...>

Options relate to the last iface that was declared, iface's are in the
last scheme that was declared (the default is '*' which matches anything).

It's nominally documented in the source and in the /etc/network/interfaces
file in netbase. There ain't much real documentation yet.

Where did "/etc/interfaces" come from btw? That's what it used to be
called before Wichert convinced me to move it to /etc/network/interfaces.
Have I been inconsistent somewhere?

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds