Re: libc6 has no sources??

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 03:36:45PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I'm trying to get a system set up to act as a very simple firewall.  For
> reasons that I'd rather not go into :-/ I have to basically store the
> entire system on a floppy or two (there are other space considerations as
> well here..)  This may turn out to be impossible, but is not too relevant to
> Debian (except that the boot-floppies package, which I wanted to look at
> as an example, is uninstallable, but that's another gripe..)
>
>   Here's the 'real' problem.  I discovered that the libc that is used by the
> slink boot floppy is a little over half the size of the system libc.  Assuming
> that glibc2.1 didn't have that much bloat over glibc2.0, I decided that the
> boot-floppies version must have custom compilation options to reduce the size.
> So I decided to get the libc source myself and see if there was anything obvious
> I could do.  My first try was:
>
> bluegreen:~/tinytim> apt-get source libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Unable to find a source package for glibc
> Exit 100
>
>   at which point I thought, "eh?"  I then went to packages.debian.org/libc6
> and noticed that it reported 'no sources found'.  Directly accessing the archive
> via ftp confirms that, in fact, there are no libc sources available in
> dists/unstable/main/source/base.  However, there *is* a source package available
> in dists/unstable/main/source/libs!  Whose bug is this?  libc6? ftp.debian.org?
> Someone else? :)

There's no bug there - the libc6 packages are all created by the 'glibc'
source package, which resides, as it should, in source/libs.

You really should look into the Linux Router Project...it's pretty much
exactly what you describe, routers that fit on a single floppy. They
seem to be based at some point along the line on debian, but have dropped
most things down to the bare minimums of what are needed to support the
floppy persistent storage operation.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.