Re: [QUAKE] Glide installers packaged

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 11:54:25PM -0400, James Mastros wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 04:06:29AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > Our operatives in the Western United States have uncovered a method to
> > bypass proprietary software distribution lockouts which have thwarted our
> > attempts to distribute the Glide 3D graphics library as part of the Debian
> > distribution.
>
> Oh great one, may I, in ignorance of your true greatness, oh great
> Knight-Beard, inquire unto the meaning and the true puropse of these evil
> works, these "proprietary software distribution lockouts" that are so
> shurely the work of the anti-RMS, that evil that seeps out of that campus of
> the evil that we dare not name.

RESTRICTIONS:  You may not:
[..]
3.      Use the Materials for for any platform or products other
        than 3Dfx products;
4.      Make copies of the Materials other than for back-up purposes, and you
        may not use the back-up copies other than as a replacement for the
        original copy.  You must include on the back-up copies all copyright
        and other notices included on the Materials; and
[..]

...on the rpms.  That just about precludes distribution of the glide rpms,
to say nothing about making debs.  I wonder if what I did to build the
glide installers (unpack the rpms, figure out what files go where, then
write a script to unpack them and move them to the right places on a
system for Debian) is a violation of the license (you may not "Reverse
engineer, decompile, or disassemble the enclosed software;")

I haven't had a beard in ages.  =>  hmm, come to think of it I don't
exactly have feathers either do I?

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3