Sponsorship, what it looks like as a new-maintainer.

I'm one of those on the "future maintainer" list of Mr. Hertzog's, and
have experience with his sponsorship idea that most lack.  Here is that
experience:

While I consider myself as conscientious, my inexperience caused several
errors in my first package.  They were too sophisticated for Lintian, and
too harmless to catch my attention.  To Mr. Hertzog, someone who has
Debian experience, the errors were blatant.  Within 24 hours of joining
Mr. Hertzog's sponsorship scheme, Mr Herztzog had sent a short list of
extremely helpful suggested improvements.

While the incoming directory may catch "rm -rf /" in postinst, it is not,
nor can it be, peer review.  While Mr Schulze has expressed the need for
something beyond an account creating new-maintainer team, they face an
expanded role coinciding with an expanded workload.  Even then, the expanded
role cannot encompass the peer review so beneficial of the sponsorship
scheme.  Presently, Mr. Hertzog's sponsorship scheme is of substantal
benifit to new maintainers.

Assuming the new-maintainer team decides to leverage it, Mr. Hertzog's
program will also go a long way in elevating their overwhelming work
burden.  Since one package will be guaranteed to be owned by the new
maintainer, the problem of new maintainers immediately disappearing can be
avoided.  Since one package will be guaranteed to have been written by the
new maintainer, the minimum level of competence will be assured.  Fully
realized, I feel the Mr. Hertzog's sponsorship scheme would be of
substantal benefit to Debian.

-Ben

"Don't see what is there and ask `why?', but image what does not exist and
ask `why not?'."
	-Kennedy