Re: pristine source for an unmaintained program?

Markus Brinkmann saieth:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 12:57:19PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Should I use the pristine source + debian patch approach even for a
> > package not maintained upstream since 1992?
>
> this is really left to your discretion. If it is free software, you can take
> over maintenance of the program. IMO, you are already doing that by
> packaging an abandoned software for Debian.

You might also consider contacting the upstream author and seeing if
he/she is willing to give you control of the package, thus making you
the "upstream maintainer".

If the package truely hasn't been maintained upstream in seven years,
it probably could use updating to more recent standards, new features
added, etc.  It would be easier to do that as the upstream maintainer
than to make a debian-specific fork.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@zaphid.dhis.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our